Wednesday, September 5, 2012

August Favorites


(Forgive my sloppy first attempt at a product collage. I'm still learning very slowly how to use Photoshop Elements!)

So I wanted to talk about some of the fun things I tried in August (most of which I really liked!) 

1. Cover Girl Blast Flipsticks

Ok let me just begin with this disclaimer - I know nothing (I mean, no-thing) about makeup. But I'm trying to learn. I've been experimenting with different products and while a lot of them have been a waste of money some have gotten me super excited. These lipsticks (excuse me, flipsticks) have gotten me realllly excited. They're basically 2 complementing lipsticks in one tube, that you can wear individually or layered together (basically three colors for the price of one!) I love them so much that I'm planning on devoting a whole post to them sometime soon. So far I have the shades "whisper" (really pretty, everyday, natural color) and "stunner" (a super fun, gold/pink duo that make me feel summery and daring.)

2. The Twilight books by Stephanie Meyers

I am so late to this party, that the fact that I'm blogging my thoughts about these books is pretty ridiculous (and slightly humiliating.) But here goes. Yes, they're addicting, though (no offense, Ms. Meyers,) I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of writing. I was really pleasantly surprised at how well Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" books were written and by the intelligence of their story lines. In comparison, the "Twilight" series just seems...dumb. YET, despite those feelings, I'm still flying through the books, staying up till 2 in the morning and destroying my eyes by reading by the light of my iPhone under my sheets (even though my infant son wakes up every morning at 5 for an early breakfast) so, yeah, I get all you "Twi-hards" now. And I've got some pretty insane dark circles under my eyes lately from the lack of sleep. (Oh, and if you're interested, and I know you're not, I'm kind of on Team Mike. Someone's got to stand up for the boring, plain, human guy, right?)

3. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain (In "Rendezvous.")

Yes, another lipstick. (Maybe I'm a little more than "mildly" obsessed.) First - the color. It's the closest I've come to finding the "perfect red lipstick" except it's not really red - it's actually orange, but it's really flattering. And the shape of the stick is genius - sort of like a pencil, it works as a liner and a lipstick so it's really easy to keep it looking neat. The color lasts a long time. I have these in a few other shades, but this has been the one that gets worn most. I'm working up the courage to try it in a darker red shade, "Romantic."

4. Donut Shop "Coconut Mocha" K-cups

We love our Keurig, and since I've recently become a fan of flavored coffees (since giving up all forms of sweeteners in my drinks) I was excited about trying these. Now they're my favorite. Such a nice afternoon treat (I tell you, I LIVE for my afternoon coffee break while the kids are napping.)

5. September Issue of Vogue

I started subscribing to Vogue for the first time this year, and was really excited about my first "September Issue." Gosh, was it huge! Almost 1,000 pages (of mostly advertisements, granted, but some of those advertisements were admittedly really provocative and great.) I saved opening this magazine for our quick Labor Day trip to OH and it made the car trip really enjoyable. I feel kind of "meh" about the obvious liberal slant of the writers, but appreciate the quality of the writing and the wide array of subjects their writers cover. I really love the interviews in Vogue, and enjoyed this issue's story on Chelsea Clinton a lot.

6. Revlon Colorstay Nail Polish in "Delicious"

Can you tell that I'm really into the color red these days? I think it's because I told myself for years that I could NOT wear red cosmetics, because they just seemed to clash with my skin tone, but I've come to learn that the right shade makes a world of difference. This IS the perfect shade of red nailpolish. (My husband agrees.) And I love that it only takes one coat and drys really quickly. AND it's much more affordable than Essie.

What were some of your favorite things this summer? I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm so boring when it comes to lipsticks & always try to venture out & usually fail, so the flipsticks & the Revlon stain sound like something I would love. Right now I am obsessing over this chocolate pu-erh tea by numi & this pumpkin creme soap by Emma's friends :). Oh & I adore the coconut mocha Kcups as well!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!