Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesdays



Since the middle of August, Olive and I have made it a weekly tradition of heading to the public library early on Tuesday mornings. We have been having the best time. I love watching her fall in love with the whole experience.

My memories of going to the library as a kid are still so vivid. I remember the thrill of really "getting it" for the first time that ALL those books were at my disposal and how rich that made me feel. I remember the pride in owning my first library card, and reading my first thick chapter book by myself ("Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder.) I remember the warm contentment that was going home with a pile of new books from the library and the anticipation of spending a quiet afternoon getting lost in other worlds and other times. I think that's one reason why Betty Smith's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" has always resonated so deeply with me and has remained my favorite book of all time. That first chapter of the book where she describes the feelings Francie had for her library have always been my feelings. 

I've grown up with the hope and desire that my children will be great readers. So I'm planning on making these Tuesday dates with my 3 year old a tradition that will last until she's graduating from high school. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!