Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What to Eat For Breakfast When You Can't Eat Eggs, Dairy or Grains



While I've been feeling a lot better with my new dietary restrictions, I've had to make a lot of adjustments - physically and mentally.

Breakfast became a big problem for me after I was told I had an allergy to eggs. I had eaten eggs for breakfast every single day for the last God-knows-how-many-years (at least 3?) Eggs were fast, easy and filling. Now I had to figure out what to eat in the mornings since I couldn't eat  dairy (yogurt smoothies) grains (cereal/oatmeal) and eggs.

Matt and I came up with a very adjustable, customizable "breakfast casserole" recipe that I make a couple of times a week. It takes me a good 2 or more hours to make (lots of washing, peeling, cutting, etc) which is a pain, but it makes a large enough amount to last me several days, which makes it well worth it. The casserole also tastes like a real breakfast meal, even though it's just fruit, veggies and meat. It's been a lifesaver to me.

Ingredients:

1 lb. sugar free breakfast sausage (you can substitute any ground meat)
2 very large sweet potatoes
2 apples (you can substitute with pears or berries)
1 red onion
1 large bell pepper
(Optional ingredients: baby spinach, butternut squash, kale...anything goes.)
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 400F

Brown sausage until well done.

Peel sweet potatoes and cut into small bite size cubes, place in 9X13 glass baking dish.

Peel apples and cut into bite size pieces and place in baking dish.

Finely chop onion and pepper and add to baking dish. 

Add salt and pepper to fruit and vegetables; mix.

Evenly distribute sausage on top of everything else in the baking dish. (If you want to add kale or spinach, I usually layer these on top of the sausage.) 

Cover with tinfoil and let bake for 45 minutes.

After the 45 minutes, remove tinfoil and let bake uncovered an additional 15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!