Thursday, August 15, 2013

Finally Happened // Didn't Happen


Most of my girl friends with kids have told me their stories of being accosted by strangers in the supermarket or mall, who want to rub their pregnant bellies.

This had never happened to me, in any of my pregnancies. I didn't know if I should be concerned or offended? (It's probably due to this unfortunate condition that I've suffered from since puberty.)

Anyway, all that changed yesterday, when a tiny elderly Asian lady literally grabbed me from behind at Meijer last night, completely taking me off guard as I had both kids with me, and was feeling a little frazzled. 

In broken English she asked what I was having, when I was due, and that she hoped it was a boy. All while patting my stomach.

I waited to feel annoyed but it never came. She was a pretty cute lady (despite her obvious preference of boys which was kind of weird,) and seemed very motherly in her interest and excitement, and the whole experience just cheered me up. Not to mention, hey! A stranger finally rubbed my belly at the grocery store! I feel like I just joined a club I've been excluded from for 4 years.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


I was supposed to have the BIG 20 week ultrasound early this morning. I was looking forward to today for over a month, counting down the days. I am ready to know the identity of the little person who is making me such a hungry, grumpy, tired, emotional lady. Matt had taken off from work, my sister was going to babysit, and we made plans to celebrate tonight with Thai food.

So when the office called at 7AM today to let me know they had canceled my appointment because their one-and-only ultrasound tech had called in sick...there were some tears. It doesn't take a lot to set me off these days, much to my annoyance. 

But then I got up and showered and the sun was out and the sky was blue and Silas was walking around with his Spiderman sandals in his hands (which is how he tries to communicate to me that he wants to GO.) So we made a trip to the library and Auntie Grace came along for the ride (trips are always more fun when Auntie comes.) It was such a nice, warm morning that we walked all the way to the coffee shop (Olive complaining the whole time that she was tired and starving,) and got coffee, muffins and a chocolate milk for Olive (which cheered her up considerably) which we then ate in the shade of the park. And then we came home and things weren't half as bad as they had seemed this morning.

A walk, some sunshine and a little caffeine work wonders, I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!