Saturday, January 18, 2014

Movies I'm Loving

[Currently in theaters]


The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

During Christmas break, Matt and I got to grab some movie dates to see a few films that we really wanted to see on the big screen. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" ended up being my favorite. It's such a simple, sweet little story and I give major props to Ben Stiller (who to be honest, I usually can't stand,) for directing it so beautifully. The locations are gorgeous, (hello Iceland!) the acting is top notch, and the music is just perfect. (David Bowie! Arcade Fire!) And it's family friendly to boot! I loved this one so much and can't wait to see it again.




Saving Mr. Banks

My siblings and I grew up watching "Mary Poppins" (over and over and over again...) I'm pretty sure my sister Grace and I still have the whole script and every song memorized. So "Saving Mr. Banks" was the one movie I desperately wanted to see before the baby was born. It didn't disappoint! Such a great cast (Emma Thompson is seriously so, so good.) I've read P.L. Travers' books, but didn't know much about her biography, so the story was fascinating to me. My big regret is rushing out of the theater too quickly and missing all the original photos and sound bits from Travers' actual trip to California. Can't wait to see this one again!

[Currently on Netflix]


Bernie

I have an embarrassing confession - I am more than a little bit in love with Jack Black. "Nacho Libre" and "School of Rock" are major guilty favorites. We actually started "Bernie" while I was in labor in the hospital last week, and had to stop halfway through so I could push Oona out. We finished it the next day and I can't get it out of my head. It is such a weird little movie, and based on a very weird real life story. Jack Black and Shirley Maclaine? Weirdest pairing ever, possibly. But they make it work. I think what drew me in to the story so much is that the town the story takes place in, Carthage, TX, reminds me so very much of all the little southern towns I grew up in as a kid. The accents, the gossip, that southern Bible belt culture - it was all so spot on in the film. If you can handle dark humor, (and Jack Black in tight high waisted pants and a creeper-mustache,) you should definitely see this one!


Black Fish

When I was a teenager a friend and I went to Sea World in San Antonio and I remember being in awe not just of the beauty of the orcas and dolphins, but of their obvious sensitivity and intelligence. What amazing animals. After watching "Black Fish," however, I've really been thinking about whether or not I could ever go to another show at Sea World. The case the documentary makes against such parks and their practices with their marine animals is really shocking and heartbreaking. This one will stick with me for a long time.

[Currently On Amazon Prime]


"The Grass is Greener"

We've had an Amazon Prime account for years, but only just recently started taking advantage of their Prime instant play movies. I was pleasantly surprised at the variety Amazon offers - especially in the classic movies genre (a genre I have felt that Netflix does not do justice.) We watched a lot of old movies over the holiday break, and "The Grass is Greener" was my favorite. It stars Cary Grant, Robert Mitchum and Deborah Kerr. It's a comedy, but deals with a wife's infidelity and how her husband (played perfectly by Cary Grant,) decides to handle it. I love Cary Grant in this role SO much. I think you will too!


"Teacher's Pet"

I love me some Clark Gable almost as much I love Cary Grant, and this was a movie I had never heard of before. It's light and cute and well acted. There's a melancholy behind Gable's sarcastic, gruff performance that really makes it hard to take your eyes off him. 

Any movies that you are loving that I should know about while I'm in my stuck-to-the-couch-with-a-nursing-baby stage? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!