Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Come, Let Us Reason Together


"Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:
though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow;
though they are red like crimson they shall become like wool.
If you are willing and obedient you shall eat the good of the land;
but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be eaten by the sword;
for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.'

Isaiah 1:18-20

I have had these verses in the forefront of my thoughts for a week now. I find it strengthening and intimate and curious, this invitation from the Lord to "reason" with Him.

 I have found it very difficult to be "reasonable" in many situations this year. Postpartum depression has been an ever present loud, deceitful, bullying voice in my head since January. It's something I've had to deal with minute by minute, day by day for 9 months, but something that I constantly try to hide and pretend isn't there. It's pushed me around and left bruises on my relationships, my confidence and my heart. I worry that when it's finally gone, the person that remains will never be quite the same, if that makes any sense.

Each day presents itself with variations of the same choice: give in to overwhelming emotions and anger or obey God. I fail at this so often, but I'm trying to stop and remember the precious invitation He has given to reason with Him - to lean on Him and not my own understanding when I face these daily choices.

But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you
and guard you from the evil one.
And we have confidence in the Lord concerning you,
both that you do and will do the things we command you.
2 Thessalonians 3:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note! I'd love to hear from you!